Friday, May 23, 2014

BAKE | TOASTED COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES

 This morning I woke up and needed to bake something. I scrolled through my Pinterest boards and came across this apple cake by Smitten Kitchen. And then I opened my fridge to find that I only had one apple. Sigh. For a moment I thought "hey, I could put on my new Nikes and walk to Target to get apples and exercise!" HAHA. Who was I kidding? I wasn't going to walk to Target. I convinced myself that Target might not even have the apples I wanted.

Then, I remembered these Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Scones I pinned last week. I'm totally into toasted coconut ever since my mom added some to the top of the cream cheese frosting carrot cake I made for Mother's Day. These come together super quickly. I used my hands to cut the butter into the dry ingredients, NBD, and then I used my new cookie scoop from Joyce instead of forming round disks with my hands - easy peasy. They are super moist and fluffy inside, not your typical scone. Next time I'm going to double the toasted coconut! (I told you, I'm totally into the toasted coconut.)

Recipe Adapted from The First Year Blog
Makes 10 scones

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 TBSP butter, cubed
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract (or vanilla extract)
  • 1 egg
  • 6 TBSP heavy cream (I used 3 TBSP milk + 3 TBSP plain yogurt)
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup oven toasted coconut
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Toast the coconut in the preheating oven: Place shredded coconut on foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 1-2 minutes. Keep on eye on it because it can burn quickly.
  3. Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. Using your fingers, cut in the butter into a crumbly mixture.
  5. Mix the egg, heavy cream (or milk + yogurt), and coconut extract in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients and combine.
  6. Add in the toasted coconut and chocolate chips, mix until combined.
  7. Use large cookie scooper to scoop large rounds on dough onto silpat lined baking sheet.
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are slightly browned. Cool on wire rack.


xoxo, allison

0 comments:

Post a Comment