Wednesday, May 14, 2014

TRAVEL | SACRAMENTO road trip

The other week I road tripped to Sacramento to spend spring break with some family in NorCal. My love of road trips probably stems from my hatred of flying. My case of extreme motion sickness has planes at the top of list. Since I went to college 360 miles from home, it was my only choice of transportation if I ever wanted to visit home. But once I got a car, I drove. 

It didn't matter to me that I it took 5 hours longer than the plane ride because I avoided the checking in, waiting at the terminal, waiting to get my luggage, waiting to get picked up, etc. I spent the time in the car calling friends with my car's Bluetooth, and when they weren't available, I was catching up on my Joy the Baker Podcasts. Joy and Tracy became my new best friends, and it was like I had Joycelyn and Traci in the car with me. (I know I sound crazy, but c'mon, they have the same names as my real life besties.) Many times I made the drive home without stopping once - thank you Pegasus for good gas mileage!

Road trips with my family are completely different. I get to nap a lot, my dad chooses the music, and we make many stops to eat. As you can see, we did a lot of eating in Sacramento as well.   
Mandatory in-n-out stop. neapolitan shake, well-done fries, cheeseburger with grilled onions and extra produce.  
Dinner the first night was at Orient Restaurant for clay pot chicken rice. The rice and chicken is slow cooked in a giant clay pot so that the juices of the chicken soak into the rice as it cooks and the rice forms a crispy layer on the bottom of the pot. My grandma and I love the crispy rice, but she loves me and let's me eat most of it.

My sister took us to Kansai Ramen & Sushi House for lunch. I ordered the Karaage Ramen with fried chicken on the side. It came with spinach, corn, and egg which made me a happy girl. We also ordered the Bob and Mufasa Rolls, Tempura Don, and BBQ Albacore. All were yummy and the server was super friendly.  
We took my sister grocery shopping and I couldn't resist buying these giant sesame balls. One of my favorite things to eat at dim sum! Fried chewy dough stuffed with red bean paste. 
Of course we had to get our BBQ fix so we took my sister and her roommate to A & K Barbeque. We ordered a full rack of pork ribs and 2 orders of tri tip. nomnomnom. Of course we had to order sides: mac and cheese, yams, and baked beans. 

Do you love road trips? Is it all about the journey or the destination? Hopefully, I have many more roadtrips in the future!

xoxo, allison

0 comments:

Post a Comment