Saturday, March 29, 2014

BAKE | DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD


I used to believe that banana bread was perfect as is, no additions, substitutions, or toppings. But then I found this recipe for double chocolate banana bread. I was skeptical because, well, banana bread seemed just fine without the double chocolate. But I wanted to bake something new to share with all of you, so I tried it. Best decision ever. This bread is moist and chocolately delicious. I couldn't stop eating it and baked another loaf within the week. It's better than chocolate cake because it has bananas...which totally makes it healthy right? At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Recipe Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 1 9x5 loaf

3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or spray it with a nonstick baking spray (I lined it with parchment paper because my cakes always get stuck).
  2. Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl. Whisk in melted butter, then brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix together baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa powder, breaking up lumpy cocoa powder. Add dry to wet ingredients with a spoon until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Pour into prepared pan and bake 55 - 65 minutes, until a tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. 
  4.  Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and invert it out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.The banana bread will keep for up to 4 days at room temperature.

I also baked this "healthier" berry, coconut, chia seed banana bread to make myself feel better about the double chocolate. haha. Recipe will be posted soon!

xoxo, allison

0 comments:

Post a Comment